Thursday, October 6, 2011

Dear Brett Favre...

Brett Favre has never been one to keep his mouth shut (or his pants zipped), but maybe...just maybe, it's time he learned. ESPN Milwaukee recently posted an open letter from Favre's teammate William Henderson to Brett himself asking the future Hall of Famer to get over himself. I happen to agree with Hendo 100%.

For the past few years, I've been wanting to write my own letter to Brett Favre. I know it won't mean as much coming from me since we've never been in the trenches together, but I've decided to write it anyway. This is my open letter to a man who has been a personal hero of mine and who's been a big part of my sports watching life.

So that said...

Dear Brett,

I've been a devoted Green Bay Packers fan for 34 of my 38 years. I grew up watching the Packers with my father and my brother and we all suffered as the franchise suffered through some pretty lean years. We watched guys like Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg coaching Quarterbacks like Lynn Dickey, Rich Whitehurst, Anthony Dilweg, Randy Wright and Don Majkowski to mediocre records and once a decade playoff appearances. But through thick and thin, we stuck by them.

Then you came into the picture.

I was a 19 year old College student when you started your first game for the Packers, Brett. I remember thinking at the time how terrible you were and I was frustrated by all of the poor decisions and interceptions in the early going, but I, like Mike Holmgren, stuck by you. For the next 15 years, Packer Nation and I got to enjoy watching the winningest team of the salary cap era and we have you to thank for being such a big part of that success.

You gave my dad a chance to see one last Packers Super Bowl win before he died, Brett. You helped put the title back in Titletown. For that, the Packers organization and fans will always owe you a debt of gratitude. From the bottom of my heart, thank you, Brett, for giving us 15 great years of Packers football.

When you started your string of false retirements, I stood by you. When you asked to be traded, I stood by you. I stood by you as a New York Jet. When you went to the Minnesota Vikings and most Packers fans cried foul, I stood by you and respected the fact that you still wanted to play and go out a winner. I even stood by you through Jen Sterger-gate.

Now you're taking cheap shots at Aaron Rodgers? I can't stand by you through that.

What did Aaron Rodgers do you to? Aaron Rodgers didn't ask to come to Green Bay. Aaron Rodgers wasn't lobbying for your job. Aaron Rodgers wasn't pushing the coaches for playing time. All Aaron Rodgers did was practice hard, be respectful to you and he tried to learn from you, but you blew him off. When you left, Rodgers did what he had to do: his job. And through all of this, to this day, Aaron Rodgers has yet to say one bad thing about you. Not one. He has taken the high road.

Maybe it's time you do the same?

Would it kill you to let bygones be bygones? The NFL is a business. Ted Thompson did what he had to do to build a team for the long term. It wasn't personal. You put the team in a tough spot and they had to move on. Had you not decided to play chicken with the management, you probably would have had another 2 years under center in Green Bay. I hate to say it, but you, my friend, did this to yourself.

Would it kill you to say, "Yeah, Aaron Rodgers is doing a great job" or "I wish him the best" or "I hope the Packers win it all again this year?" That's really all you'd have to say to win back the hearts of the Packers faithful like me. Is that REALLY so hard?

I was raised to believe that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. So if you CAN'T say any of those things I suggested, how about just biting your tongue and saying nothing? That should be easy, right?

You're a lucky man, Brett. You got to play in a state that worships its sport heroes. Did you watch the Packers on opening day? Bart Starr ran out on the field waving a Green Bay Packers flag to the cheers and adoration of a stadium full of 75,000+ fans and a national Television audience. He's a hero in Wisconsin. You were a hero in Wisconsin, once. If you play your cards right, you could be a hero in Wisconsin again.

Silence is (Green and) Golden, Brett. So how about it? Please? For your teammates? For your fans? For me? Be a hero again. You did it once. I know you can do it again.

With love, admiration and respect,

--Kenn

*******************************************

*Whew* There. I feel better now.




No comments:

Post a Comment